Part of the reason that ABC’s primetime drama Nashville has become such a cult favorite is the music. Every episode features at least a couple of performances, weaved into the storyline as the characters write songs, play shows, and generally surround themselves with music. Since its inception in 2012 Nashville has been partnering with Big Machine Label Group to periodically release a soundtrack album for every half season, meaning six have already been released, plus a Christmas effort in 2014. Because the show features original material from the talented songwriters of Nashville, plus a few select covers, and the actors are the ones singing them with no dubs, the soundtrack albums are valuable merchandise that bring the show to life.
So that’s why it’s exciting that yesterday, Nov 3, they announced that “The Music of Nashville: Season 4, Volume 1” will hit stores on Dec 4 at all digital retailers and Target. Featuring 17 new songs from the first half of the new season, the likes of Connie Britton, Charles Esten, Aubrey Peeples, Clare Bowen, Sam Palladio, Hayden Panettiere, Will Chase, Jonathan Jackson, Chris Carmack, Lennon & Maisy Stella, Chaley Rose and new recruits Riley Smith and Mark Collie are represented. What’s more, Steven Tyler makes a guest appearance on the duet with Hayden Panettiere, Patsy Cline’s “Crazy.” The show is known for having a big cast, but all are extremely talented, and that’s part of what makes it great.
Most of them would also call themselves musicians. Chris Carmack is gearing up to release his debut EP “Pieces of You” the same month, while Jonathan Jackson’s band Enation released their album “Radio Cinematic” in 2014, and Clare Bowen, Charles Esten, Sam Palladio and Lennon & Maisy Stella are regulars on the Grand Ole Opry and took part in both Nashville tours. Tomorrow, the men of Nashville will perform at a very special CMA Songwriters Series in Music City as part of CMA Week.
While the show is not airing this week due to tonight’s CMA Awards, it will return next Wednesday, Nov 11 at 10/9c on ABC.
The Music of Nashville: Original Soundtrack, Season 4, Volume 1 Track Listing:
1. “Like New,” Charles Esten
2. “Beyond the Sun,” Lennon Stella
3. “Holding on to What I Can’t Hold,” Mark Collie
4. “Too Far From You,” Aubrey Peeples
5. “Far to Fall,” Clare Bowen, Sam Palladio
6. “Crazy,” Steven Tyler, Hayden Panettiere
7. “Spinning Revolver,” Will Chase
8. “Sleep Tonight (A Lullaby),” Chris Carmack, Jonathan Jackson
9. “In the Name of Your Love,” Riley Smith
10. “Run With Me,” Chris Carmack
11. “Speak to Me,” Clare Bowen
12. “I Want To (Do Everything for You),” Connie Britton, Riley Smith
13. “History of My Heart,” Jonathan Jackson
14. “What If It’s You,” Hayden Panettiere
15. “Count on Me,” Sam Palladio
16. “Rockin’ & Rollin’,” Lennon & Maisy Stella
17. “Take My Hand, Precious Lord,” Chaley Rose